Improving Email Services and File Store
Student email is changing with Microsoft Live@edu service
Friday 5th August will see the launch of a new online communication and collaboration service based on Microsoft's Live@edu. This service will replace the current student email. New students enrolling for the first time this August will be the first users, and existing foundation, undergraduate and postgraduate taught students can expect to be moved around the start of the new academic year. Postgraduate research (doctorate) students will not be moved. More details on move dates for existing students will follow in due course.
What is Live@edu?
Microsoft Live@edu is a web-based collaborative platform which includes a generous mailbox, masses of online file store, and a range of collaboration tools and features to make it easier to communicate and share with fellow students. You will be able to access all of these services from virtually any computer or mobile device with an internet connection.
When will it change?
From 5th August, new students will be able to create their new IT accounts and will be given an email account on Live@edu instead of on Exchange.
For existing students, the mail box move from Exchange to Live@edu will likely take place around the start of the new semester. To ensure that we get publicity out in good time, and to work in conjunction with other ICT projects, a final date for the move has not been set yet. You will be alerted of the change at least two weeks in advance.
How will this affect me?
- Your email address will remain firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The email tab in SUSSED will point to the new email account, but you can also go directly to the Live@edu space. The address will be published closer to the move date.
- You will be able to collaborate and share resources more easily with other students.
- You will be able to take advantage of the local client on your computer and mobile phone to more easily work with your email, calendar and contacts.
What is included in Live@edu?
Microsoft Outlook Live - an email account with a rich set of features
- 10 GB mailbox , allowing up to 18 MB attachments
- combine other personal email accounts (e.g hotmail, gmail) within Outlook Live to have them all in one place
- junk email filtering and protection from spam and viruses
- contacts/address book
- access to your email, contacts, and calendar from anywhere, including a broad range of ActiveSync enabled phones (e.g. Windows Phone, iPhone, Android) and local clients (e.g. Outlook, Mac Mail etc)
- instant messaging services with Outlook Live including audio and video, application sharing, file transfers and more
Windows SkyDrive - Web-based online file store
- 25 GB of online storage
- easily store, access and share files and documents online in a password protected environment
- drag and drop uploading
- control who has permission to view or edit any one of your documents
- use shared folders to share files and collaborate on group projects onlin
Microsoft Office Web Apps - Online companions to Word, Excel, PowerPoint and OneNote
- access, view and edit your online Office files from virtually any computer with an internet connection - even if you don't have Microsoft Office installed
- simultaneously edit documents (Excel spreadsheets and OneNote notebooks) with others in real-time and see exactly who is editing and viewing your documents
- access and view your files from your mobile device
Who can I contact for further information?
If you have any concerns or require further information, please contact Project Manager Phil Blakeman on email@example.com .